Sunday, March 15, 2009

Reunited

One of our fantastic nurses at UAB took these pictures of the babies all together for the first time since birth. She said that they had to work quickly to get everything unhooked, get them all in a warmer together, take a few shots, and then get them back to their isolettes. I am so happy to have these! The nurses have been wonderful about helping us with anything we need and letting us be parents to the babies even though they are still in the hospital. We have been able to make a care team for the babies this week. This means that we have selected some nurses that we have really hit it off with and they will be with our babies on the days they work. It means a lot to have the same people with your babies so that they are always up to date on the babies' progress, any set backs, and even their personalities and quirks. We couldn't be happier with the care our children are getting there.
The doctor stopped by while we were there today and gave the babies a glowing report. He said that they are hitting a major growth period right now. It's hard to believe how much they are growing from one day to the next. Their weights today are:
Broox-4 lbs. 3 oz.
Jane - 2lbs. 7 oz.
Virgina - 2 lbs. 14 oz.
Rainer - 3 lbs. 5 oz.

The babies are in their birth order in these pictures. From left to right: Broox, Jane, Virginia and Rainer. They are wearing the little shirts that they use in the nursery to keep them from getting chilly. I can't wait to dress them up as soon as they make it to their cribs. Hopefully, that won't be too much longer. The boys are getting better and better at taking a bottle. Gray fed them today. Broox took the entire thing and seems to have gotten the hang of it all of a sudden. Rainer did pretty well, but still needs to work on swallowing once he sucks. You should see their faces when we feed them. They look very serious. It is so much work for them to suck, swallow and breath all at the same time. They are doing so well though. The nurses have told us that they really don't start making them take bottles until 34 weeks, so they are actually ahead of the game. Jane and Virginia still have to grow more before they can give it a try.
The babies will be three weeks old tomorrow and I'm looking forward to another great week of watching them grow.


10 comments:

Anne said...

Well this is just fantastic. Seeing all four together makes it real for all of us keeping up with you all from afar. It looks like they are loving being back so close to each other. Hopefully we will be able to get to Birmingham this week during my spring break. I am so proud of the wonderful report all four got from the doctor today...best news I have heard in a long time! Hope your week goes well and looking forward to seeing all SIX of you!

Heather said...

Oh, Kate, they're just beautiful!!! Congratulations!

Elizabeth said...

Kate! I love seeing all of them together! What a fabulous report!! It is so amazing how well they are all doing! I am so happy for you and Gray! Love and miss you!

Elizabeth

rtuite said...

Kate, I enjoyed reading your blog. Congratulations on your precious little ones. They are all beautiful and I am happy to see they are so healthy. I am currently in the hospital on bedrest awaiting the arrival of my quads. I am 30wk/2days. I pray I can make it as long as you did.

Susan said...

Hi Kate,

Your mom and I have been looking at these new pictures of your precious babies. I have been enjoying hearing all about your family. I can't wait to see them for myself. Hope that is real soon.

Susan

candymc said...

Kate,
I am so proud....I could pick out who each one was before you got to the identifying part. Don't anyone be saying I don't know MY babies. They look so good. I love these photos of everyone together. Shoot....I don't know how much longer I can stay away.

We are the Smith Family said...

What a blessing!

Jessica Azar said...

These pictures just warmed my heart so much!!! It must be so exciting for you to get these pictures of all 4 of the precious ones!!! I'm so proud that the boys are getting the hang of bottle feeding!!! Y'all are still in my prayers and thoughts!

Anonymous said...

They are precious!

Anonymous said...

Kate, What beautiful babies. Bundles of joy indeed. I have been the bragging aunt everywhere I go. I had big plans to bring Mama Merle up for the day when I was in Brewton but that did not pan out due to her hip pain etc... But I definitely am searching my calender for a trip to meet them. I so very much enjoy your blog so we can keep up. Much love to all. Aunt Donna