I am very happy to report that all four of the babies are healthy and growing at a normal rate! Tuesday was a long day, but it was all worth it to know that the babies are safe. Gray, Mama, and I got to the doctor yesterday morning at around 10:00. We were called back into the ultrasound room after a routine blood pressure check and weigh in.
After that, we were sent to an ultrasound room with a technician. She told me that it would take a while to check each of the four babies. She started with Baby A and measured the head and the bones in the leg. She also checked for kidneys, a four chamber heart, the spine, a bladder, Down’s Syndrome, cleft pallet, etc. After she had taken all measurements on the first baby, she moved on to B. It was wonderful hearing that the baby was perfectly normal, but also nerve wracking knowing that we had three more to look at before we were in the clear.
This process was repeated with all four babies and they passed every test. Next, the doctor came in did a few measurements for herself. She said that everything looked great, and they were able to tell us that the boys (babies A and D) were weighing in at 8 ounces, while the girls (babies B and C) were 7 ounces. The doctor said that the boys’ weights were in the 50th percentile for baby weights at this point, which is average, and the girls were in the 37th percentile which is well in range of acceptable weights. I was so proud of them!
Later that day at 3:00, I met with my doctor. She checked me out and said that everything looked good right now. I was able to ask her a lot of questions about what to expect. She still thinks that I have a good chance of making it to 30-32 weeks with these babies. She said that I could remain at homerest status as long as nothing happens, such as contractions or any other pre-term labor indications. This was very good news to me, because I am really enjoying the little freedom I have for moving around.
She also told me that it was time to start taking progesterone shots every week. She said that they would administer these injections to me if I bring them to my appointments, but I don’t have another appointment for two weeks. This means that someone else has to give them to me. Luckily for me, my sister-in-law lives here in Brewton and is a nurse practitioner. She has given these very shots to patients lots of times. She actually worked at the clinic that I go to for my appointments in Birmingham, so she is an excellent source of information and support. Gray is her name (just like my husband, so it can be confusing) and I just feel so lucky to have her. I don’t know if my husband, my mother, or I was happier about them not having to give the shots.
She is going to give me my first shot today. The shots are given in the hip and are notorious for being unpleasant. I have heard from several sources that the medicine is so thick that you can feel it going down your leg. I’m sure it is the very least of what I will be going through and I’m thankful that there is something available to help keep the babies from being born too early.
2 comments:
Kate,
What wonderful news to hear this morning! So glad to hear that Jane does not have to give you the shots, that would not be a pretty sight! Keep up the good work keeping all four of the little ones safe and sound. I look forward to seeing you this weekend!
Love,
Aunt Anne
Kate!
I am so thankful to hear your babies are healthy! You are such a wonderful mommy! Those little babies are so blessed to have you! I hope the shots aren't too bad- you are so brave! I love and miss you! I am so excited to hear all is well!
Love,
Elizabeth
Post a Comment